Cultivating a Positive Attitude
by Betsy DeCruz on November 23rd, 2015

​“Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.” Colossians 3:16
​Have you had a case of the grumbles lately? Sometimes a negative attitude can hit you out of nowhere, can’t it?

Life is an amazing gift from God that should inspire gratitude. Yet some mornings we wake up on the wrong side of the bed, and the day goes downhill from there. We grumble and complain.

This may or may not have happened to me the week our garage door opener broke and my daughter’s computer crashed.

Our lives are a crazy mix of blessings and misfortunes, beautiful and hard woven together. Even on our best days, we don’t have to go far to find difficulty, but I don’t want to travel the road of life complaining about it. That ruins the ride for all the other passengers in my car, like my husband and kids.

Complaining zaps the contentment right out of my heart. So I want to get serious about waging war on the grumbles.

​Colossians 3:16 shows us 3 ways to cultivate a positive outlook:

1.The Word of God

​As we read scripture, the Holy Spirit brings encouragement, strength, and peace to our hearts. Complaining can set our minds on a negative cycle, but God’s Truth renews our thoughts. As we read, meditate, and obey it, God’s Word takes root in our hearts. A daily dose of the Word helps ward off a negative spirit like nothing else.

2. Praise

When we choose to praise God in the middle of our challenges, it brings Him honor and shifts our focus. As we worship, our hearts are drawn to closer fellowship with Jesus, and our eyes are opened to His love and care for us.

3. Giving Thanks

​God makes the sun rise even on the days when the garage door opener breaks. He gives us a new gift of 24 hours each morning. Thanking Him for simple blessings grows gratitude in our hearts. Even in life’s tough moments, in hospitals and funeral parlors, God gives us grace. Recognizing and thanking Him for His goodness lightens our heaviest burdens.

​The next time a computer crashes around here, instead of coming down with a case of the grumbles, I want to hold fast to God’s Word, sing my praise loud, and start giving thanks! Let’s ward off whining by cultivating contentment and growing gratitude.

How about turning the praise music up loud today?
​Today's blog post is part of our November blog series #EverydayThanksgiving.
​Betsy de Cruz enjoys God, life with teenagers, and dark roast coffee.  She and her crazy nomad family are currently spending 9 months in Dallas, Texas, but they look forward to returning to Turkey, their favorite home. Betsy’s passion is to encourage women to get God’s Word in, so their faith can spill out, even during life’s bumpy moments. She writes about everyday faith at faithspillingover.com. You can also connect with Betsy on Twitter , Facebook, and Pinterest.

Posted in Everyday Thanksgiving    Tagged with EverydayThanksgiving, Colossians, attitude, complain, praise

Crystal S. Hornback - November 23rd, 2015 at 9:18 AM
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO needed this today!!!! Thank you for the reminder, Betsy!
Betsy de Cruz - November 23rd, 2015 at 12:08 PM
Blessings to you, sweet Crystal. I think we ALL need it!
Jodie - November 23rd, 2015 at 3:53 PM
There is so much truth here...complaining does zap contentment out of our hearts. Thank you Betsy!
Betsy de Cruz - November 24th, 2015 at 4:26 PM
Happy THANKSGIVING to you, Jodie. Blessings, #SoulFriend!
Jeannie - November 23rd, 2015 at 6:09 PM
That verse from Colossians is so helpful in changing our attitude - thanks for this, Betsy.
Micah Maddox - November 24th, 2015 at 6:01 AM
Thank you! Turning up the music today!!!
Kristine - November 24th, 2015 at 6:16 AM
Love it, Betsy! I may or may not have complained about my cluttered house this week:) I needed this reminder today, sweet lady!
Betsy de Cruz - November 25th, 2015 at 11:10 PM
I may or may not have complained (at least on the inside) about a lot of stuff this week! Reminding myself here.
Michele Morin - November 24th, 2015 at 6:45 AM
Such good advice. The holiday of giving thanks actually translates into a lot of baking and food prep -- which I love! But it is also tiring, and I find myself slipping into discouragement . . . and grumbling. Thanks for the upbeat attitude check!
Mary Geisen - November 24th, 2015 at 7:17 AM
Amen my friend! I love when you wrote "complaining zapa the contentment right out of my heart". There is such truth in those few words. You say in point two that we honor God when we praise Him and this is what I try to focus on. Also I have learned that no one likes a complainer! :) Praying you have a blessed Thanksgiving!
Jana - November 24th, 2015 at 9:44 AM
Wonderful message Betsy! I found myself grumbling this weekend and then God convicted my heart so quickly. We are so blessed! And so many are truly in despair.

Thank you for this reminder to help us cultivate true everyday thanksgiving.
Blessings
Lisa Appel - November 24th, 2015 at 3:54 PM
Betsy, always a reminder. My flesh gives in too easily. One thing I realized the other day is that God could have kept me from the irritants -- the crashed computer. If He doesn't, well then, I suppose He means it as a lesson. Thank you for your words!