How To Be A Fighter
by Kristine Brown on January 22nd, 2016

“For we are glad when we are weak and you are strong. Your restoration is what we pray for.” 2 Corinthians 13:9 ESV
​My college years were filled with questionable choices and less than stellar moments. That was a few years ago. OK, more than just a few.

Rushing into decisions on a whim sent me into confusion overload. Giving half-hearted effort to my classes left me feeling weak and unfulfilled. During those unfocused years, I often remembered simple songs and sayings I had learned as a child. One in particular stood out in my mind…

“Jesus loves me this I know, for the Bible tells me so. Little ones to Him belong, they are weak but He is strong.”

Weak? But I didn’t want to be weak. I didn’t want to always be striving but never reaching, always trying but never getting anywhere. Was I destined to be a weakling all my life? Would I constantly feel as though I was clawing my way out of a deep hole I had dug for myself? I longed to be strong, yet I couldn’t figure out how.

I just hadn’t learned yet how to be a fighter.

“So Joshua marched up from Gilgal with his entire army, including all the best fighting men.” Joshua 10:7 NIV

​In Joshua chapter 10, the five kings of the Amorites – Jerusalem, Hebron, Jarmuth, Lachish, and Eglon – joined forces to attack Gibeon because it had made peace with Israel. When the Gibeonites heard this, they sent word to Joshua and pleaded for his help. Joshua went to their aid, but he didn’t go alone. He took his best fighting men with him.

I know God is the One who fights my battles, but I have also learned I must do my part when I join His team. Yes, in order to find direction and purpose in my life, I need to think like a fighter. What does it take to be a fighting man like those in Joshua’s army? Here are three characteristics of a fighting man. We too can learn from these qualities and apply them to our own lives today.
  1. Fighters prepare for battle. We may not use man-made weapons, but ours have more power than we can imagine. Paul explains it this way in 2 Corinthians 10:4, “We use God’s mighty weapons, not worldly weapons, to knock down the strongholds of human reasoning and to destroy false arguments.” Prayer. Reading scripture. Studying. These are the weapons we use to prepare for the battles we will face in this life. With these weapons, we are more than conquerers.

2. Fighters trust God’s plan. Joshua’s men didn’t question his directives, and they didn’t choose to go their own way. These fighting men followed him and trusted the outcome because they knew Joshua had been appointed by God to lead them. When we “walk by faith, not by sight” (2 Cor. 5:7), we exercise our faith and show our willingness to trust the Lord’s plan.

3. Fighters do not fear the enemy. This is the toughest one of all. I can read scripture after scripture about fear, but still find myself giving in to worry and what-ifs. What if something bad happens? What if things don’t work out? Thoughts like this can completely sabotage our progress if we let them get in the way of the battle plan. When Joshua took his army up to Gibeon, the Lord said, “Do not be afraid of them; I have given them into your hand.” (v.8) The men marched in bravely, and God gave them an overwhelming victory!
​Joshua and his fighting men won the battle because God was with them. They possessed these three important character traits, and so can we. Have you been in that place where you feel weak and without purpose? Where you don’t know how you’ll find the strength to make positive changes in your life?

That’s exactly where I was when God drew me in and gave me the desire to become like Joshua’s fighting men. From that day on, my confusion and half-hearted effort was replaced with commitment and purpose. Just like the song lyrics express, we are weak without God, but we find our strength in Him. And through His strength we develop boldness and confidence to grow into the person He designed us to be – brave, steadfast, and courageous. Fighters.

​Blessings Soul Friends,
Today's blog post is part of our #SoulDeep Daily Scripture reading series on #newlife

​Kristine Brown is a writer, dramatist, and teacher. She helps women and teen girls navigate the ups and downs of real life.

Kristine devotes her time to family, freelance writing, and her nonprofit ministry, More Than Yourself, Inc.

You can read more from her at http://www.morethanyourself.com.

Posted in Soul Deep Scripture    Tagged with #newlife, strength, 2 Corinthians, restoration

Sabra Penley - January 22nd, 2016 at 9:34 AM
What great encouragement, Kristine. I need to always remember these three things whenever I lack confidence or become afraid. Great message!
Kristine - January 26th, 2016 at 8:57 PM
Thank you Sabra! I found this passage about Joshua's fighting men very encouraging. Blessings friend!
LisaAppelo@TrueandFaithful.net - January 22nd, 2016 at 11:19 PM
Those Old Testament stories are so powerful and really help buoy my faith. Thank you for this one! Good, good stuff.
Kristine - January 26th, 2016 at 8:59 PM
I agree, Lisa. I used to race through some of the old testament stories, but now I like to take my time and let them speak to my heart. So full of wisdom! Thank you sweet friend:)
liz - January 23rd, 2016 at 10:41 AM
Such incredible encouragement! Love this post and all the treasures of the Old Testament!
Kristine - January 26th, 2016 at 8:59 PM
Thanks Liz! I'm loving the old testament more and more. It holds such deep truths. Blessings!
Betsy de Cruz - January 25th, 2016 at 12:03 PM
Kristine, this post resonated with me because I read Joshua 10 on Saturday! I've been enjoying reading the book and getting lessons from it. These are great points, #1 Prepare for Battle, #2 Trust God's Plan, and #3 Don't fear the enemy! Excellent.
Kristine - January 26th, 2016 at 9:01 PM
Thanks Betsy! When I read that passage I thought, "I want to be one of God's fighting men! I want Him to take me with Him into battle!" I want Him to know He can count on me to be ready for battle when He calls. Thanks for the comment!
Alisa - January 26th, 2016 at 10:57 AM
Great post Kristene! I agree, I don't like to be weak either. I tend to try to hide those feelings of inadequacy and fight in my own strength. I love these three qualities! Thanks for sharing! I'm linking up with you at Intentional Tuesday.
Jana - January 26th, 2016 at 8:36 PM
Alisa thank you so much for dropping by the blog today! Blessings, jana
Kristine - January 26th, 2016 at 9:02 PM
Thanks for stopping by Alisa, and for the sweet encouragement!
Christy Mobley - January 26th, 2016 at 7:27 PM
Fighters prepare for battle. Fighters trust God's plan. Fighters do not fear the enemy.Three sentences I need to memorize and keep in my arsenal. Good sound advice Kristine. Thank you for joining us today at #RaRaLinkUp!
Jana - January 26th, 2016 at 8:36 PM
Oh I need to memorize these also. And put them into practice! Thanks for dropping by today Christy! Blessings,
Kristine - January 26th, 2016 at 9:03 PM
Thanks Christy, it's always fun joining with Rara sisters for the linkup! And thank you for stopping by to comment. I appreciate you!
Kristi Woods - January 28th, 2016 at 10:50 AM
"Less than stellar..." I've been there with you, Kristine. We likely all have. But you're bringing out the fighter in us, and it's good. I like thed breakout of the 3 points. Yes, yes, and yes. Good read and encouragement, my friend. Jana, thank you for opening your space to Kristine's words. xo to both you gals.
Julie Lefebure - January 28th, 2016 at 6:40 PM
Love, love, love this, Kristine! Especially... "And through His strength we develop boldness and confidence to grow into the person He designed us to be %u2013 brave, steadfast, and courageous. Fighters." His strength daily... and the only way I receive His strength is by spending time with Him and in His Word. Your reminder is perfect timing for me. I so appreciate you. I'm following you this week at Holly's. Bless you!
Jana - January 29th, 2016 at 12:07 AM
Hi Julie, so glad you dropped by today. Wasn't Kristine's blog wonderful! Great encouragement. Blessings,
Dawn - January 29th, 2016 at 8:16 AM
I love the graphic!! It is encouraging and strengthening just to be reminded that we are not the one who fights our battles. And you are right, we need to learn to fight correctly. There are times, in the middle of those battles I am reminded that our fight is not against flesh and blood and we are not fighting with merely earthly weapons. Thank the Lord that he fights for us and sends us his laborers to walk alongside of us.
Blessings,
Dawn
Jana - January 30th, 2016 at 12:17 PM
Amen Dawn! I am so glad the Lord fights my battles! Thank you so much for joining us on the blog. Blessings, Jana
Tiffany Parry - February 6th, 2016 at 12:13 PM
Such great encouragement to fight the good fight and finish the race!