Using The Bible to Grow Your Prayer Life
by Betsy DeCruz on January 25th, 2016

Do you ever feel unsure of how to pray for someone you love? Have you ever gotten tired of praying the same things day in and day out? Does your mind wander while you’re trying to talk to God?

Friend, you’re not alone. I’m the queen of distraction, so I’ve experienced all of these. I want to grow closer to God and see lives changed through prayer, yet my mind can travel to the moon and back when I try to pray. That’s why I want to learn more about using God’s Word to fuel and focus my conversation with Him.

Scripture works like a springboard for prayer. As we read it, the Holy Spirit sparks our thoughts and leads us into closer communion with Him.

Praying God’s Word has several benefits:

It gives direction to our prayer. When we don’t know how to pray for a person or situation, scripture shows us. We know we’re praying in line with God’s will when we pray His very words back to Him. And when we’re left speechless at the end of our rope, it gives us the words we need.

God’s Word has power. Scripture has authority. It’s alive and active. It’s a mighty weapon of spiritual warfare that fuels our faith and breaks down strongholds. We find power when we pray God’s inspired Word.

God’s Word is an anchor. When your mind wanders, you can always go back to the scripture that sparked your prayer. When your faith flounders, the Bible gives you words to declare and something to stand on.

Here are Three Ways Pray Using Scripture:

1. Pray God’s Word in Your Quiet Time

In your devotional reading, respond to God’s words by praying them back to Him. After you read a passage, go back and read it again, pausing to respond to God when you see a verse that sparks prayer. Look for the following
* A quality or action you can praise God for.
* A blessing to thank Him for.
* Something you want to ask God for.

​2. Use memory verses as prayer prompts.

If you’re using a scripture memory program, spend a few minutes praying through a verse after you review it. Lift up to God whatever thoughts come to mind. Perhaps you’ll want to pray for yourself or for a loved one, asking for grace to obey a command, or faith to believe a promise.

​3. Pray Along with the prayers of the Bible

God’s Word contains the most beautiful and powerful prayers ever written. Pray along with the people of the Bible as they wrestle with God, praise Him, and bring their petitions before Him. Here are several prayers from scripture you can make your own:
  • 1 Chronicles 29:10-13
  • Psalm 51
  • Luke 1:46-55
  • Ephesians 1:15-23
  • Ephesians 3: 14-21
  • Colossians 1: 9-12
As you pray more of God’s Word, your faith will grow. When your words echo His, you grow closer to Him.

​Soul friends, here’s something you can try right now before you go:
Blessings Soul Friends,
As a bonus to today's blog post, we would love for you to have this FREE printable of the
6 Prayers From Scripture To Make Your Own.

​This file may be downloaded, shared and printed an unlimited number of times, however, it can not be sold or included in any sales promotion.

​Betsy de Cruz enjoys God, life with teenagers, and dark roast coffee. She and her family live in the Middle East. Most days she feels privileged to live overseas; other days she wants to pull her hair out and catch the next plane home.

Betsy’s passion is to encourage women to get God’s Word in, so their faith can spill out, even during life’s bumpy moments.

You can find Betsy at her blog, faithspillingover.com

Posted in not categorized    Tagged with prayer

Jodie - January 25th, 2016 at 6:33 AM
Betsy, I teach tomorrow night on this very topic. :) My approach is different but similar and I look forward to using some of your information to help our girls with prayer.
Betsy de Cruz - January 25th, 2016 at 11:38 AM
Jodie, so glad you're teaching! Way to go. May the Lord bless your group tomorrow night, and each of the women this week.
Jana - January 26th, 2016 at 8:33 PM
You ladies just bless my heart so much!! Thank you both for how you love God and share His message. Hugs, Jana
amyfaith - January 25th, 2016 at 8:51 AM
Carolina Hinojosa-Cisneros - January 25th, 2016 at 12:04 PM
Thank you, Betsy. What a beautiful downloadable. Have a blessed week.
Betsy de Cruz - January 26th, 2016 at 8:16 AM
The download is from Jana. Isn't it great? Thanks for stopping by Carolina.
Bev Duncan @ Walking Well With God - January 25th, 2016 at 6:42 PM
Betsy,
Thanks for the tips and the download (printables). I especially love Ephesians 3:14-21!
Blessings,
Bev
Betsy de Cruz - January 26th, 2016 at 8:24 AM
I love that Ephesians prayer too, Bev. I want to memorize it! Maybe a goal for this year.
Jana - January 26th, 2016 at 8:34 PM
Loved Betsy's idea for the printable! I just love things I can print off and tuck in my Bible. Glad you enjoy them too! Blessings, Jana
Jana - January 26th, 2016 at 8:34 PM
Rachel Britton - January 25th, 2016 at 7:21 PM
Betsy, I love this, especially using scripture knowing that God's Word has power and authority. It's alive, active and a mighty weapon that can break down strongholds. Wow!
Betsy de Cruz - January 26th, 2016 at 8:26 AM
Amen! His Word has power and authority. Wow is right! :-) Blessings to you, Rachel.
Candace - January 26th, 2016 at 7:05 AM
This is so helpful for me, Betsy. I've really just started focusing on the Word and my prayer life over the last few years. I love the idea of opening the Bible when I'm not sure how to pray for someone. I honestly never thought about doing that. Thank you for this lesson and printable! Pinned.
Betsy de Cruz - January 26th, 2016 at 8:27 AM
So glad if this is helpful, Candace. (I just learned something I didn't know about fasting from YOUR post, friend!) Glad you like Jana's printable.
Mary Geisen - January 26th, 2016 at 7:27 AM
Thank you for this offering Betsy! I love the praying God's word. When I choose to look at one small section of a book in the Bible or a specific verse, I find I am able to pray the words and hear from God more easily. It has resulted in some beautiful time with God.

Thank you for choosing the words from Lamentations 3. They are one of my favorites. Blessings on your week!
Betsy de Cruz - January 26th, 2016 at 8:28 AM
That's true for me too, Mary. Sometimes looking at one small section opens up more truth and encouragement for me.
Jana - January 26th, 2016 at 8:35 PM
What a beautiful community! Thanks for coming by today Mary. Blessings,
Debbie Putman - January 26th, 2016 at 8:14 AM
This is a treasure to add to my prayer wall. Thank you.
Kathy - January 26th, 2016 at 11:39 AM
Beautiful ideas to help us pray -- how life changing scripture is!! I've been reading some of the Psalms out loud for my husband who needs prayer for a stressful work life..and difficult people..how powerful it is! I will look forward to your downloads..thank you! Love this encouraging post!
Jana - January 26th, 2016 at 8:31 PM
Thank you for stopping by the blog today Kathy. I just love praying scripture also, and appreciate Betsy so much for sharing with us today. Blessings, Jana
Betsy de Cruz - January 27th, 2016 at 11:21 AM
It's an honor to write here, Jana!
Kristi Woods - January 26th, 2016 at 12:00 PM
Good post, Betsy. I LOVE praying Scripture. I'll be sure to share this link on my fb feed because it's likely that others will glean.
Jana - January 26th, 2016 at 8:30 PM
Thank you Kristi for sharing with your audience! Blessings, Jana
Lyli @3dlessons4life.com - January 26th, 2016 at 12:08 PM
Love this, Betsy. Will be sharing with my online prraye group
Jana - January 26th, 2016 at 8:30 PM
Thank you Lyli for sharing on your blog! Blessings, Jana
Irene Fonseca - January 26th, 2016 at 1:54 PM
Loved this post Betsy. I had just finished reading Fervent last night. Then I saw this post that Lyli Dunbar shared. Thank you!
Betsy de Cruz - January 27th, 2016 at 11:09 AM
Oh wow, I haven't read Fervent yet! It's on my to-read list! Thanks for your encouragement.
Mary Gemmill - January 26th, 2016 at 2:56 PM
I was thrilled a friend shared this post with me as she knows I love to pray using Scriptures.
May I share a prayer God had me write using only Scriptures from the Living Bible New test ?
I wrote it after having a revelation that praying in agreement is powerful but praying in agreement with GOD himself is the MOST powerful. His Word never returns to Him void but accomplishes the purpose for which is is sent forth...and He is watching over His Word, faithfully to perform it..... People can just change the name.

PRAYER

Dear God, [Colossians2:2,6,7:] I PRAISE YOU THAT Amy is being encouraged in growing to know you better, and that she will have the rich experience of knowing you will real certainty and clear understanding. Reveal to her the mighty untapped treasures of knowledge and wisdom that lie hidden in You. May she trust you with each day%u2019s problems and live in vital union with You. May her roots go down deep into You, Lord, and may she draw up nourishment from you. See that she goes on growing in You and that she becomes strong and vigorous in the truth that she has been taught. Let her life overflow with joy and thanksgiving for all that You have done. 1 Thessalonians 5.23:May the God of peace herself make Amy entirely pure and devoted to God; may her spirit, soul and body be kept strong and blameless until the day of your return. May your rich blessings be with her.
2 Thessalonians 1.11-12:
I keep on praying that you will make Amy as well as she could wish to be!-rewarding her faith with your power. Then everyone will be praising the name of
2 Thessalonians 3.3:
Thank you Lord that you are faithful and that you will make Amy strong and guard her from satanic attacks of any kind.
1 Timothy 2.1:
I thank you for Amy and for ALL that you are going to do for her and in her.
I thank you that the steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord, and that though sometimes Amy may fall, [goof-up] she will not be caste down, for you will help her up again by your hand. [Ps 37.23]
Thank you that you are showing Amy where she should go and that you are pointing out to her the paths on which she should travel, and show her where she should be.
Philemon v6:
I thank you Lord that I keep on seeing the love that Amy has for you and seeing that she puts her trust in you. I pray that as she shares her faith with others that it will come to grip their lives too, as they see the wealth of good things in Amy that come from You.
Hebrews13v17
I pray for Amy the wisdom that comes from heaven, which is first of all pure and full of quiet gentleness, peace loving and courteous. The kind of wisdom that allows discussion, and is willing to yield to others, full of mercy and good deeds, whole-hearted, straight-forward and sincere.
James 1.5-6:I pray that as she asks you for wisdom Lord that she will ask with a mind that expects an answer, for your word says that you are ready with a bountiful supply of wisdom for those who ask for it. May she ask in faith, so that you can give her a solid answer.
Ephesians 1.15.20:
I never stop thanking you for Amy Lord and I pray to you constantly asking that you give her wisdom and for her to see clearly and to really understand who Christ is, and what you have done for us. I pray that her heart will be flooded with light so that she can see something of the future that we have been called to share. I want her to realize that God has been made rich because we who are Christ%u2019s have been given to her. I pray that she will understand how incredibly great is your power to help those who believe in you. It is the same mighty power that raised you from the dead! And, we are joined with you and with each other by the Spirit. And we are a part of the dwelling place of God! At last we shall be truly filled up with God Herself. We will become full-grown in the Lord %u2013 yes %u2013 to the point of being full with Christ [.Ephesians4.13]
I am sure Lord, that You who began the good work in Amy will be faithful to complete it, and that you will keep on helping her to grow in grace until; your task in her is finally complete. My prayer is that she will overflow more and more with love for others, and at the same time will keep on growing in spiritual knowledge and insight.
Colossians1.9-12:I ask You to fill her with understanding of what you want her to do. May she be filled with the knowledge of your will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding. May she walk in a ,manner worthy of You, Lord, living a blameless life. May she the way she lives always please and honour You. May she always be doing good kind things for others while at the same time getting to know You better and better. May she please You in all respects . May she bear fruit in every good work. May she be strengthened with power according to your glorious might. May she be filled with glorious strength so that she can keep on going no matter what happens %u2013 always full of the joy of the Lord. May her love for you run so deep that she can%u2019t help but give glory and honour to you. May your mighty energy at work within her enable her to do the work that you have called her to do.

All scriptures from the Living Bible.

Betsy de Cruz - January 27th, 2016 at 11:20 AM
Thanks for sharing your prayer, Meg! That is beautiful. I love the way you're using scripture as a mighty weapon!
Dianne Thornton - January 31st, 2016 at 8:31 PM
Beautiful, Betsy. I love this ... "when we%u2019re left speechless at the end of our rope, it gives us the words we need." Indeed, Scripture is our best resource when praying. I've gone in/out of doing this. Need to get back to it. Yes for focus!
Ginger Harrington - February 2nd, 2016 at 7:13 PM
I love the image of Scripture being a springboard for prayer. Hmm...cannon ball or swan dive? Seriously, that is such a true concept!
Marva | sunSPARKLEshine - February 3rd, 2016 at 10:17 AM
Betsy, I love being able to pray through prayers in the Bible. When I pray back God's promises to Him it reminds me of his faithfulness. Thanks for including a printable for a little extra inspiration. Wishing you blessings!
Jennifer - February 3rd, 2016 at 7:53 PM
Oh Betsy, I love this... and I needed this! I struggle with distraction, especially when praying.

I think these tips and your wisdom here will be so very helpful!

Thanks for sharing.