Love Grabs Hold
by Kristine Brown on February 24th, 2016

​The Go-Go’s latest hit blared in the background. Shimmering lights from the disco ball studded the floor with star-like shapes. This was our Friday night ritual. My best friend and I arrived early, as usual, ready to try out our new skates. Did I mention the cool pink pom-poms with bells tied to the tops?

Five dollar allowance in hand would get us in the door, plus a few games of Galaga or Centipede. And maybe a cola. The best part of the night though was our dare-devil trick.

We started at opposite ends of the rink, and when one of us gave the signal, we raced toward the center circle as fast as our scrawny legs could go. Then as we reached the middle, our crisscrossed arms grabbed hold and began spinning round and round. Fast. If one of us had decided to let go, we would have fallen backward to our doom. We held on with all the strength we could muster.

God’s love for us is a lot like that firm grip.

Just as my dear friend and I determined to hold onto one another for dear life, God does not lose his grasp on us once His love takes hold. We may try our best to slip away, but His “steadfast love endures forever” (Psalm 136:1).

​Love grabs hold. Love hangs on. Love never lets go.

​And with this promise to wrap His loving arms around us eternally, God also wants us to practice that same committed love with others. His desire is the essence of this scripture:
 “Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law”
(Romans 13:10 ESV).

In the preceding verses of this chapter in Romans, Paul explains how loving each other fulfills the law set forth by God. We have a hard time associating love with the law, but Paul is referring to the commandments here – God’s law. Paul reminds us that the sum of all the commandments is the challenge to love our neighbors. “Love fulfills the law.” God’s love never leaves us, so likewise we should not forsake loving those around us.

Even when people try to push us away.

Even when someone is unlovable.

Even when others make bad choices.

Even when they don’t believe the same way I do.

​Yes, our call is to love others because God loves us, which He demonstrated with the greatest sacrifice in history.

Because when I tried to push Him away, when I was unlovable, when I made bad choices and didn’t believe – God held onto me with His forever love.

​So will you strap on your skates now and join me? Let’s race ahead with God’s love leading us. Let’s spin wildly with reckless abandon. We have a great love to share with others today. It’s time to hold on and not let go!

​Blessings Soul Friends,
Today's blog post is part of #SoulDeep Scripture series #loveis

​Kristine Brown is a writer, dramatist, and teacher. She helps women and teen girls navigate the ups and downs of real life.

Kristine devotes her time to family, freelance writing, and her nonprofit ministry, More Than Yourself, Inc.

You can read more from her at http://www.morethanyourself.com

Posted in Soul Deep Scripture    Tagged with #loveis, Romans

Liz - February 24th, 2016 at 6:34 AM
This is such a beautiful picture you've painted of God's love clinging to us! %u2764%uFE0F
Kristine - March 1st, 2016 at 8:23 AM
Thank you Liz! Some memories stand out and teach us about life. This is one of those fun times I will never forget.
Jodie - February 24th, 2016 at 7:01 AM
Love this Kristine! And it was just the inspiration I needed to have a good word for my online bible study group! I will share your post with them at lunchtime :)
I'm sure you have heard it but one of my favorite songs is Just Be Held by Casting Crowns. Listen to it!
Thanks for sharing! I'm resting in your words of encouragement:
%u200BLove grabs hold. Love hangs on. Love never lets go.
Kristine - March 1st, 2016 at 8:28 AM
I love that song:) Thank you for the sweet encouragement Jodie!
Lauren Gaskill | Making Life Sweet - February 24th, 2016 at 8:17 AM
"God%u2019s love for us is a lot like that firm grip." What a beautiful picture and analogy! Thank you for sharing on the RaRaLinkup.
Kristine - March 1st, 2016 at 8:29 AM
You are very welcome Lauren! I always enjoy linking up with my sisters:) Thank you for commenting!
Betsy de Cruz - February 24th, 2016 at 8:25 AM
This is just delightful, Kristine. Beautiful story, and a beautiful application. God's love grabs hold, hangs on, and never lets go of us. In the same way, we should never let go of the call to love others. Sharing this morning, friend. This is too good to keep to myself!
Kristine - March 1st, 2016 at 8:29 AM
I appreciate your kind words so much, Betsy. And thank you also for sharing with others. You are a blessing!
Abby McDonald - February 26th, 2016 at 7:37 AM
This is such a beautifully encouraging post, friend. I'm hard on myself and sometimes that can carry over to others as well, but I'm learning each day to extend GRACE, and where would we be without it? I shudder at the thought. Thanks for the reminder that God's love never let's go, and neither should we.
Kristine - March 1st, 2016 at 8:31 AM
Thank you for stopping by to join in the conversation Abby. Yes, grace! Sometimes I forget to lend to others what God has so freely given to me. May we always remember this:)