When You Need To Know God Loves You
by Betsy deCruz on February 26th, 2016

​“Do you love me, God? I mean really, if you loved me, how could this be happening?”

Have you ever asked that question?

I was 28 when I asked it for the first time. I was young, yet unable to walk. Swollen, sore joints all over my body made it hard to lift a book or make a sandwich.  Even dressing myself was a challenge. The doctor said I had Rheumatoid Arthritis. I faced the possibility of living the rest of my life disabled and sick.

One day I hit rock bottom. I cried out to God, “I know you love me, but I just can’t believe it. If you do love me, please show me a sign.”

Later that day I got a call from the college pastor I worked with. He said that he, his wife, and twenty of our students were fasting and praying for me. I recognized God’s answer to my prayer. If twenty of His people were fasting because I was sick, He must love me.

The Lord actually healed me months later, but something changed inside me that day. I still hurt all over, but I believed God loved me. Hadn’t he taken the trouble to answer my faithless prayer?

​Friend, I don’t know what challenges you face today, but I do know God loves you.

​God’s love surrounds us when life’s storms threaten to knock us down. But sometimes the very trials we face can cause us to doubt. Maybe you’re struggling with illness or financial pressure. Perhaps you’re recovering from loss or carrying around the pain of a bad relationship.

​Maybe you’re wondering, “Does God really love me?”
Ask Him.

I invite you to ask God freely, “Do you love me?” If you don’t really believe, confess it and ask for mercy. Ask God to reveal more of His love to you. It’s a prayer He delights to answer. You won’t take Him by surprise. He already knows your doubts.

​Consider today’s Sweet to the Soul verse:

​​“So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.”
1 John 4:16 ESV
​

​Choose to Believe.

​No one else has loved us like Jesus did when he died on the cross. Rehearse that over and over in your mind. Jesus showed His love by giving His life for you. Even when you don’t understand what’s going on in your life, believe God loves you. You can trust Him. He redeems every trial, and He’ll work His will in your life.

​Abide in God’s Love.

Keep yourself in the love of God. Thank Him for it. Remain in it. Rest in it, and remind yourself of it.

Actively pursue a knowledge of God’s love through scripture. When you pick up a Bible, you don’t have to read very far before you find verses about God’s love. Highlight them in red so you can find them later. Meditate on them and declare them over yourself. Here are three to start with:
  • Long ago the Lord said to Israel: “I have loved you, my people, with an everlasting love. With unfailing love I have drawn you to myself.” (Jeremiah 31:3 NLT)

• But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners. (Romans 5:8 NLT)

• Hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us. (Romans 5:5 ESV)

Whether you’re struggling to believe or just needing a little reminder, would you pray along with me?

​“Lord, thank you for loving me. Would you pour more of your love into my heart today by the power of the Holy Spirit? I receive it by faith.”

​Blessings Soul Friends,
Today's blog is part of our #SoulDeep Scripture series #LoveIs

​Betsy de Cruz enjoys God, life with teenagers, and dark roast coffee. She and her family live in the Middle East. Most days she feels privileged to live overseas; other days she wants to pull her hair out and catch the next plane home.

Betsy’s passion is to encourage women to get God’s Word in, so their faith can spill out, even during life’s bumpy moments.

You can find Betsy at her blog, faithspillingover.com

Posted in Soul Deep Scripture    Tagged with #loveis, 1 John

Michele Morin - February 26th, 2016 at 6:51 AM
This is a beautiful testimony, and very timely for me to read at the end of a long week. Thanks, Betsy, for getting truth to my heart today. Also, you have introduced me to a community here that is entirely new to me!
Betsy de Cruz - February 26th, 2016 at 7:50 AM
Blessings and grace to you at the end of your long week, Michele. Hang in there. Sunday's comin' ! :-)
Jodie - February 26th, 2016 at 8:55 AM
Betsy! Reading that verse today in conjunction with yours words helped to slow down and see, "So we have come to know and believe" ! I work with women everyday and my prayer and my burden if for them to come and believe. I love that you emphasize he knows our doubts. I love that He embraces me and lets me share my doubts and fears. Blessings Betsy! Thank you for your precious words!
Betsy de Cruz - February 26th, 2016 at 9:13 AM
Amen! Joining you in that prayer that the women we work with and who read our words would come to know and BELIEVE. Hard to believe some days, but it's still true!
Jeannie - February 26th, 2016 at 9:46 AM
Beautiful, Betsy -- if we could all just receive and rest in the love God has for us, I think we and our world would change so much.
Betsy de Cruz - February 26th, 2016 at 8:47 PM
Oh yes, Jeannie. It would change us and change the world.
Crystal - February 26th, 2016 at 5:41 PM
Betsy, what a remarkable testimony of our Father's healing hand. My jaw literally dropped when I was reading it because I would have never known you had RA. My mom actually suffers from that, she was at the doctor's office today. RA is tough but our God is tougher :) I will share this post with her as I know she will be encouraged.
Betsy de Cruz - February 26th, 2016 at 8:48 PM
Yes, Crystal, many days I still give thanks that I can walk! I'm a walking miracle. I'm sorry your mom suffers from RA. I do not know why I was healed and some people are not. All I know is God loves us and we can trust him. Grace to you and your mom. Praying for her now.
Candace - February 26th, 2016 at 6:15 PM
Such beautiful encouragement here, Betsy. What an amazing story of healing. I must admit to asking God that question about His love many times. I know better. He's shown me again and again, but it's so easy to get caught back there. Thank you for this important reminder today!
Betsy de Cruz - February 26th, 2016 at 8:50 PM
Thank you, Candace. He's shown all of us His love so many times, and He's so patient with us when we doubt, if we'll just return to Him! :-)
Candace - February 26th, 2016 at 6:15 PM
Candace - February 26th, 2016 at 6:15 PM
Ceil - February 29th, 2016 at 2:44 PM
Hi Betsy! I can't imagine how much pain, both physical and spiritual you must have been in. And He heard your cry! What an amazing comfort to know that so many were praying for you. I hope you are continuing to stay ahead of your symptoms.

What God has planned for us is always a mystery, but He does always provides that support. The grace in Him and in each other to get through. You have a powerful witness here Betsy. Thank you for sharing it!
Blessings,