Tempted to Compare My Pace
by Kristine Brown on September 30th, 2016

​I set my goal, and it was a big one. I wanted to create a Leader’s Guide to accompany my newly-released book. Even when I started writing the book, I knew it would one day be used by women to dive deeper into God’s Word through group study. Still, seeing this new goal through to the end would take extreme focus and a heaping dose of determination.

I created a timeline and marked my calendar with the much-anticipated date of completion. I broke each big task into manageable steps. Just like writing the book itself the year before, I knew I could do this with God’s help. But I needed to stay on schedule. That was the key:
Stay. On. Schedule.

Summer proved to be the perfect time for such a huge assignment. Taking an out-of-town sabbatical would give me just the quiet study time I would need. I didn’t know, however, that God had other plans.

Different things happened to interrupt my well-laid-out schedule. Company came, and I felt a strong nudge from God to lay down my fancy organizer and enjoy precious time making memories with loved-ones. Then after our fun-filled visit – a frightening interruption. One that would eventually send me to the hospital and leave me unable to do anything for several weeks.

My goal to do this great thing for God came to a screeching halt.

Instead, the lofty dream faded. Now I just longed to do simple things, like take a walk down my street again. Cook dinner for my family again. Feel like myself again. But healing was slow going, and summer soon came to an end.

During that time, I watched many of my friends racing along at warp speed, accomplishing one great thing after another. Before I knew it, I began comparing my pace with theirs. I seemed to be moving like a snail compared to them. And so, I considered letting go of my dream all together.

Then God reminded me of the very words He gave me for the Faith Statement in chapter 4 of the Over It book.

Deciding to praise God instead of striving to please others shows our willingness to follow His plan. #OverItBook

​I realized these interruptions in my life gave me exactly what I needed – time to reflect on why I wanted to write the Leader’s Guide in the first place. Was I doing it to show others what I can accomplish? Was I doing it to show God what I can accomplish? Maybe my focus became skewed somewhere in all that striving.

“For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.” Ephesians 2:10 ESV
​When we keep God at the center of our goals, we can see life’s interruptions as opportunities to draw closer to Him. Though struggles may overwhelm us, let’s choose to rely on Him. And when we think someone else may be moving at a faster rate, we can remember the truth of the verse above.

Will you join me in praising God today? The Over It Leader’s Guide may be postponed for now, but I’ve learned to trust God’s timing above my own. God’s plans are better than any schedule we can create. And as we keep our focus on Him, He will guide our every step.

​Blessings Soul Friends
​Interested in learning more about Over It. Conquering Comparison to Live Out God’s Plan?
Visit the book page here to find fun graphics, tweets, and a link to purchase your copy. Over It is available in print or Kindle e-book version. A portion of the proceeds from the sale of each book directly benefit the More Than Yourself, Inc. college scholarship program for junior high girls. Click here to see last year’s scholarship recipients. This year’s contest is now open! Winners of the 2016/17 scholarships will be announced in March.

​Kristine Brown is a writer, dramatist, and teacher. She helps women and teen girls navigate the ups and downs of real life.

Kristine devotes her time to family, freelance writing, and her nonprofit ministry, More Than Yourself, Inc.

You can read more from her at http://www.morethanyourself.com.

Posted in My Sweet Life, Soul Friends    Tagged with #OverItBook, Ephesians, #GodsMasterpiece

Julie Sunne - September 30th, 2016 at 11:12 AM
Love the reminder, Kristine! So encouraging to me right now.
Liz - September 30th, 2016 at 11:21 AM
Love it, friend! You give us such a gentle and encouraging reminder to run our own race at God's pace! XO
Ray - September 30th, 2016 at 6:11 PM
I always make certain anything on the stove is off - the phone buried under towels etc. when I see one of your e-mails in my in-box! Ha - I want no interruptions! Then I dive right in and I am always blessed and satisfied to have had your insights and experiences to help me to get a little closer to God.

As always, thank you, and many blessings to you!
Ray
Tennessee
Jodie - September 30th, 2016 at 6:23 PM
"Thankfully, God is there to intervene when my focus wanders from Him and His plan. Because as long as I keep my eyes on God, He will set my pace."
Kathryn - September 30th, 2016 at 8:40 PM
Love this (don't love that you've had such a summer, though). Thank you for this reminder that the pauses are God's way of reminding us to trust Him and His plans (not ours).
jana - October 1st, 2016 at 12:22 AM
Thanks so much for sharing with us today Kristine! I love this: "deciding to praise God instead os striving to please others" WOW.... powerful powerful!
Lisa Appelo @TrueandFaithful.net - October 1st, 2016 at 1:51 PM
My daughter and I were just talking about this verse and its application! What a summer friend. What a gift of grace to yourself. I can't wait to see why God's timing on this has been different from yours.
Kristi Woods - October 1st, 2016 at 4:23 PM
Ooooo...I'm praising God right alongside you, friend. What a beautiful gal He has made you - in so many ways. Jana, thank you sharing space for Kristine's encouraging words today.
Jana - October 2nd, 2016 at 9:35 PM
Kristi, isn't Kristine such a blessing? So glad you were encouraged by her words.

Blessings friend, Jana
Betsy de Cruz - October 4th, 2016 at 7:45 AM
This is so beautiful, Kristine. Speaks volumes to me right now. I also had planned to release a freebie eshort for my blog subscribers this October, and like you had SO MANY THINGS come up this summer and early fall. Just not God's plan for me. Thanks for the encouragement.
Debbie Williams - October 11th, 2016 at 6:00 AM
Love this beautiful story. I don't love you were sick, but I do know God has BIG plans for you my friend. I've been stifled too, and can't seem to find time or the will to get back to a book I started a long time ago. Praising God for you and your book, and can't wait to see your study guide. HUGS!
Ellen Chauvin - October 26th, 2016 at 12:47 PM
Oh, Kristine, I hate that you had a rough summer, but at least you had a good reason for not accomplishing your goal! I set the goal, break it into smaller portions, and then just don't do it! I'll admit, there are times I shove my to do list aside because I sense He wants me elsewhere. But...overall...I procrastinate! Thanks for this beautiful post, friend!